Maharaja Fateh Singh Museum

A royal collection of art treasures by masters like Raphael, Titian and Murillo as well as modern, western and Indian paintings, Graeco-Roman exhibits, Chinese and Japanese art and a large collection of contemporary Indian art are open to the public and well worth a visit. It was established in 1961, and has an outstanding collection of the portraiture of Raja Ravi Verma, a 19th century portraitist. Another interesting section houses Chinese and Japanese porcelain artefacts, while two rooms on the ground floor are treasure troves of the Roccoco period in art. The ground floor also has a set of crystal furniture specially made for Sayaji Rao Gaekwad. The bed and chairs were part of his personal chambers. They also have royal rooms decorated as they had been in the olden days, which are also open for the public to see.

Nazarbagh Palace

  Built in old classical style, the Gaekwads used this palace on ceremonial occasions. It now supposedly houses the royal family heirlooms. 

Makarpura Palace

A beautiful palace designed in Italian style, the Makarpura is now used as a training school of the Indian Air Force. 

Pratap Vilas Palace at Lalbagh

This was originally built as the residence of the royal family. It is an extravagant mansion built in the Indo-Sarcenic style. It houses a remarkable collection of old armoury and sculptures in bronze, marble and terracotta. The palace is a riot of columns and arches drawn from a variety of traditions including South Indian, Central Indian, North Indian and Islam. The entrance has exquisite carvings as well as stuffed tigers placed on the walls. The Darbar Hall has mosaic floors, seven domes, 12 chandeliers, intricately sculpted cedar balconies and a silver throne. It is spread over an area of 720 acres with gardens and a golf course. One can visit Shastragar (weapons room) to see the Royal armoury.

Kirti Mandir

The family mausoleums of the Gaekwad rulers are decorated with murals made by Nandlal Bose. The memorial busts are shown by the eager old caretaker happy to have a rare visitor. The central spire is 110 ft high and an inner dome decorated with a series of specially commissioned frescoes.

Vadodara Museum and picture gallery

Founded by the Gaekwads in 1894, this museum houses, among others, miniature paintings and narrative paintings by different artists. Maharaja Sayajirao III Gaekwad of Baroda acquired choice items from across the world - Silver plated Copper Trays from Tanjore, a Shiva Natraja from 11th Century South India, 6th Century Sculptures from Shamlaji in Gujarat, an exquisite 9th century ivory-inlaid book box from North India, and a Jain bronze dating to 5th century AD. 

The upper floor of the building has a section each on natural history, ethnology and geology. The adjoining Art Gallery has a great collection of European old masters - Veronese, Giordano, Zurbaran, some Flemish and Dutch scholl paintings; Turner and Constable, a collection of Mughal miniatures, and valuable palm-leaf manuscripts of Buddhist and Jain origin and even an Egyptian mummy. There are dusty Egyptian artefacts, Greek sculptures and 18th Century Paithani textiles. Not even the museum officials are aware of that wonderful contraption, the Delhi Bungalow, located on the premises - a solid looking structure, it used to be dismantled and taken by the rulers to the Delhi durbars.

Nyaya Mandir

The Nyaya Mandir, temple of justice, is a unique piece of Byzantine architecture. It houses the District Court of Baroda.

MS University Building

This was constructed in 1880 and boasts of the second largest masonry dome in India and towers to a height of 144 feet.

Other places too are the Narsinhji haveli temple, the 1763 AD Maratha Brahmin Ganesha haveli, the Mandvi pavilion, Jumma Masjid, the Maqbara and the 1586 AD stepwell in Qutub Ud Din masjid.

Baroda is also known for its bustling bazaars of silver and gold ornaments. A stone's throw away is the Sayaji Gardens a popular haunt for weekend visitors with its small zoo, mini railway museum, art gallery and the relatively new Sardar Patel Planetarium. The museum was completed in 1904, has a landmark collection of Tibetan and European art and also houses the famous Akota bronzes dating back to the 5th century AD.

Sayaji Sarovar in Vadodara

The Sayaji Sarovar or Ajwa lake, 22 kms away from the city is the principal source of water. It is formed by damming the Surya river and Vaghali Nala. Work on the scheme was started in 1885 and was completed in 1890. The gardens at Ajwa are patterned after the famous Brindavan Gardens of Mysore. The illumination of fountains is a major attraction for tourists.

Sayajibaug in Vadodara

Sayaji Baug (the famous park) is situated on river Vishwamitri and was built by Sayajirao III in 1879. Sprawling over 113 acres, it also includes an excellent zoo, the Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery, the Museum of Health and Hygiene and the Sardar Patel Planetarium.A major attraction for children is the 3.5 kms joy ride through the park on the toy train.

Maqbara (Hajira)

Constructed in the memory of Kutub-ud-din the general of Akbar's army, it is the only existing Mughal monument of the city. There is also a step well in its vicinity.

Mandvi Gate in Vadodara

This imposing structure was built during the Mughal period and was restored in 1736 A.D. by the Governor, Malharoa Maloji under the orders of Damaji Roa II (1732-1768 A.D.).


It is situated 47 kms from Vadodara. The town of Champaner was subjugated by Sultan Mehmud Begara in 1484 and made it his new capital. Champaner lies at the foot of Pavagarh fort. The ruins of its mosques and palaces reflected in the lake are some of the most picturesque sights in India. Citadel of Mahmud Beghada is a perfect rectangle about three-quarters of a mile long and 280 yards broad, the citadel is enclosed by a wall of massive blocks of freestone, known as Mahmud Beghada's Wall. It is strengthened by bastions at regular intervals and beautified by small carved balconies in the best Islamic style. Jama Masjid, on account of its massive grandeur and perfect finish, the Jama Masjid is one of the grandest Islamic monuments in Western India. Nagina Masjid is also called the Jewel Mosque as it is built of pure white stone.

EME Temple

Situated in the cantonment near Fatehgunj is the beautiful Shiva temple. Managed and maintained by the "Jawans" of E.M.E., this temple is made of alluminium and some alloys. Unlike all other temples, this beautiful Shiva temple is made of alluminium and it is a place of religious armony. A cultural centre has also been developed by the E.M.E. around the temple here good sculptures of Gujarat, pavilions etc. are nicely preserved. Idols of Gods and Godesses are beautifully placed on both the side walkways and they look very attractive when illuminated at night everyday. Visit to this temple is a must for everyone who visit Vadodara.

Aurbindo Society

Maharshi Aurobindo Ghosh who one of the eminent freedom fighters and also a renouned philosopher resided in Vadodara from 1894 to 1906 as a private secretary to Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad. He also worked as vice principal and professor of English in Baroda college. His residence popularly known as Aurobindo Society is situated in Dandia Bazar area is the only national memorial. Yoga and meditation are taught here regularly. Surrounded by a nicely maincured garden this magnificent building provides an opportunity to pass a few minutes in solace. Various useful articles prepared at Pondichery are sold in an emporium on the ground floor. A nicely displayed small museum on the life of Shri Aurobindo's contribution can also be visited here.